Tuesday, April 13, 2010

When to Follow Up

It's time to answer another question from a job seeker!

Dear Julie,

I was wondering if you could give me your expert advice on an interview question. I had a one-hour phone interview with HR on March 1st, which went well and then a face to face interview with the hiring manager on March 15th. I think this went well also, however, he said that they are going through interview process and would not have a final decision by middle or late April.

I followed up with HR on March 30th to see my chances and she advised me that I was one of the candidates but they are still in the interview process. My questions is how long should I wait to call back HR or should I contact the hiring manager for an update? Hope you could help me on this. Thanks for your time.

Signed,

"Antsy"




Dear "Antsy,"

Aaah, the dreaded "when to follow up" dilemma.

As a short answer, follow up well, but not so often you look like a creepy stalker.

I know it's hard, but don’t get stressed out about the lengthy hiring process nowadays. Companies are generally taking longer amounts of time to fill positions – this is because there is a ton of possible qualified applicants, and also because companies are still hesitant to pull the trigger, so they add 16 extra unnecessary steps to the hiring process. Most of those silly steps have nothing to do with you, and all to do with internal paperwork, etc. It’s not usually personal. In your case, they did mention mid-late April, so you’ve got plenty of time according to their own internal calendar.

Also, you need to remember, that they do not necessarily have the same sense of urgency that you have. They have jobs and paychecks coming in. They are not feeling the stress of unemployment right now. So, for them, if the memo to hire you sits on their desk for an extra couple of days until they get around to it, it's no big deal. (Multiply that by however many people in the company that need to see that memo before HR can call you, and you get an idea of what's going on over there.)

My best advice would be to wait two weeks and try again. If you feel that two weeks is too long, make up some reason to email/connect with the hiring manager (not HR) so you can be at the top of their minds and they can fight on your behalf. Like sending an article which discusses something you talked about in your interview, etc. Lots of different ways you can make a connection without acting “like a stalker” – as long as you don’t do too many at once!

And while you’re waiting, go look for more opportunities. DO NOT PUT ALL OF YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET! Right now, the best thing you can do, is to just let go, move on and find your next potential contact. It only puts you in a position of negotiating strength if you can find other companies to interview with by the time they finally get around to calling you and making you an offer.

I hope this advice is helpful to you!

Julie Mendez

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is full of good ideas on a very confusing topic. As a recruiter, I don't mind if the candidate asks me what would be the best method to follow up and what the timing should be. I see that as an organized candidate who is willing to participate with me in the process. Since very few do that, it would make the candidate stand out more. That's always a good thing!

soulson said...

"Also, you need to remember, that they do not necessarily have the same sense of urgency that you have."

This is not quite correct. As a hiring manager I had a great sense of urgency to fill open positions: I had deadlines piling up and no one to do the work. I had a very real sense of urgency. Human Resources was the roadblock and I had daily and twice daily fone calls with them. Hiring managers have a great sense of urgency, believe me. HR is the single organization making the extra steps.

Julie Mendez said...

pugla46, I didn't specifically mean HR with that comment - but also everyone else in the "chain of paperwork" at an organization as well. As a former HR gal myself, I have great sympathy and respect for those toiling away in HR roles!

About that particular comment, I meant "Oh My Gosh, PLEASE Give Me This Job Before I Walk Out The Door, And Can I Start Tomorrow") urgency! T's still have to be crossed and I's still have to be dotted, and I sometimes feel that job seekers don't quite grasp that concept. Back in my former HR/Recruiter life, I actually had a candidate call me the same afternoon quite rude and snotty because I hadn't GIVEN him a job yet. I know that's not typical, but I often want to make it clear in the candidate's mind that he must consider the point of view of the decision makers.

Thanks all for your comments!